ESG Academy
2019-07-28

This High-Tech Farmer Grows Kale in a Factory


This High-Tech Farmer Grows Kale in a Factory

This High-Tech Farmer Grows Kale in a Factory


It might look like we're inside a spaceship. 
我們看起來身處太空船的內部 

But this is actually a farm.
但這裡其實是個農場

The crops here have grown mostly by machines with the help of just a few humans. 
這裡大多數的農作物都是依靠機器以及少數員工的幫助維生

Like this woman.
像這位女士

Her life offers an early peek at a new kind of farming.
她的生活讓我們見證全新樣貌的農業

It's a promising twist to an ancient career.
對於老派的職業是個有前途的轉變

But only if the robots don't replace they're all together.
但前提是他們還沒有完全被機器人取代

As technology replaces old jobs.
科技逐漸取代古老工作的同時

It's also creating new ones. 
也在開發新工作機會

I'm Aki Ito and I'm here to show you the jobs of the future.
我是Aki Ito,讓我帶你們來參觀未來的工作機會

My name is Katie Morich and I'm a vertical farmer.
我是Katie Morich,一位垂直法農民

Katie works for a three-year-old startup called Bowery.
Katie在起步3年的 Bowery農場工作

Its farm is here in this industrial park in New Jersey. 
它的農場位於新澤西州的工業園區

It's the last place you'd expect to find any sign of life.
任何人都不會將這裡與生命現象做連結

We take extra precautions to make sure we're not bringing any contaminants into the
farm so we're gonna wear hair nets. 
我們對於將污染物引進農場格外地謹慎,所以我們都會穿戴髮網

And then this is just gonna cover all your street clothes.
然後這個會覆蓋住你身上所有的衣物

Katie wears a clean uniform every day. 
Katie每天都穿新的乾淨制服

Visitors like me are handed a non-negotiable jumpsuit.
像我一樣的訪客都必須穿上連身衣

Alright.
完成

Step inside and you'll see a cross between a factory and a lab.
進去之後會看到工廠與實驗室相互交叉

Trays of produce are vertically stacked to save space. 
許多農作物都被垂直堆立以節省空間

And each of them is given just the right amount of light water and nutrients at the optimal temperature and humidity.
每株植物都在最適溫度及濕度時被給予適當水量和養分

It's an incredible level of precision which is why Katie can grow more faster with less water and no pesticides.
這樣刁鑽的準確度也是Katie可以不使用農藥和些許水量就能養殖更多植物的原因

It's also what lets her grow things that taste like nothing you've ever had before.
也讓她可以培育出你從未品嘗過的產物

What’s this?
這是什麼?

This is the sorrel. 
它是酸模

That tastes like candy apple. 
吃起來像是糖蘋果

Whoa.  

That’s good, right?
很棒,對吧?

It’s so sour. 
它吃起來好酸

I know.
我知道

The majority of this facility is automated. 
這座場所大部份都是自動化的

The data is collected by sensors and a computer controls growing conditions for the crops.
由感應器蒐集資訊然後一台電腦負責監控生長中的農作物

For the things that the machines can't do yet. 
遇到機器無法處理的情況時

Katie and her fellow human farmers fill in. 
Katie和其他農夫就會跳出來幫忙

And even those tasks are dictated by the software that runs this whole operation.
即便如此,那些作業還是由操控一切運作的軟體所主宰

It lets me know what i have to do, what time i should be doing it by, and that's how I got my day done. 
它讓我知道待辦事項然後什麼時候要完成,這就是我的一天

Do you ever like rebel against the computer’s orders?
你有沒有曾經想要反抗電腦的指示?

Um, once in a while if we're trying to do a little experiment of our own.
恩...偶爾,當我們想要進行小實驗的時候

You like okay is this system telling us the correct thing?
你會去思考系統所說的都是正確的嗎?

Most the time it is.
大部份的時候是

All the time it's right.
它永遠都是對的

After a full day at the farm.
在農場待了一整天後

Katie likes to bring home samples to her husband, Jase, and her cat, Burt. 
Katie喜歡將樣品帶回家給她的老公Jase還有她的貓Burt

Salt, pepper?
鹽巴還是胡椒粉

Maybe little more. 
或許再多放一點

Garlic.
大蒜

On the menu are two items from Katie's farm. 
菜單上包含兩種來自Katie農場的產物

Basil for pesto pasta. 
青醬義大利麵內的羅勒

And mixed greens for a salad.
還有沙拉裡的混合蔬菜

I'm terrified, everyone's judging. 
我好緊張,每個人都在評論我的廚藝

Cheers guys.
大家乾杯

Katie fell in love with environmental science in college.
Katie在大學時期愛上環境科學

But after graduating she struggled to find a full-time career in the field.
但她畢業後遲遲無法在這個領域裡找到全職工作

Jase had to deal with me a lot. 
當時Jase需要一直安撫我

You know coming home to me crying and trying to figure out if I'm making the right decisions. 
哭著跑回家然後試圖弄清楚自己是否做了正確的決定

And then somehow online, Bowery popped up.
然後某天在網路上看到Bowery農場 

She told me about this job like Bowery farming.
她告訴我關於Bowery農場的工作

It's like an indoor vertical farm and I was like all right this sounds like total BS. 
它好像是室內垂直農場然後我心裡就想說這聽起來好不切實際

So I took my work truck and I say you know let me swing around and see what this is all about so I drove up to it.
所以我跟她說讓我開卡車去看看然後我就去了

It doesn't look like there's a farm in there at all.
那邊看起來完全不像有任何的農場

So like I called her and I was like listen I know like you're psyched about this job but it seems super sketchy
所以我打給她說我知道你對於這份工作很期待但是我覺得非常不靠譜

I figured I'd go and check it out for myself and I pulled up and it was exactly as how he described but I gave it a shot.
我就決定自己去瞧瞧然後當我把車停好時發現真的就像他講得一樣但我還是決定試試看

And so in 2017 Katie joined Bowery, she became employee number nine. 
所以Katie就在2017年時加入Bowery農場並成為它第9位員工

This is really my first real full-time big girl job. 
這是我人生中第一份認真的全職工作

And it was a little intimidating at first coming into this company with people that have like their PhD and I don't necessarily have that background.
剛開始加入這家公司的時候我很緊張因為這裡有博士背景的員工而我並不具備這樣的條件

So I constantly doubted myself when I first started at Bowery.
所以當初我很常懷疑自己

I wasn't worried about her at all you know. 
我其實並不擔心她

She said to us can I do this?
她問我們自己做不做得到?

And I used to tell her to have a little faith in herself.
而我以前總是跟她說對自己有信心一點

Katie grew up in a typical New Jersey suburb with two working parents. 
Katie出生於雙薪家庭並在新澤西州的郊區長大

They’ve tried to stay away from putting too much pressure on their only child.
他們也避免加諸太多壓力在唯一的子女身上

When we heard about what she was doing and realized that this is something that
didn't exist when we were younger and I thought back from my generation.
當我們得知她的工作內容時才意識到在我們的年代根本不可能會有這種工作機會
You know PC’s came out when I started working. 
我最一開始上班的時候電腦才剛出來

And my parents probably would have said I was crazy if I went into an IT field at the time but now look what happens so it's not a good idea for us to try to tell her what to do because it's a different world. 
如果當時我踏入IT工作領域的話,我的父母大概會覺得我瘋了但如果我們現在試圖告訴她該怎麼做或許不是個好點子因為周遭的世界都變了

Bowery is backed by some of Silicon Valley's top investors.
Bowery 農場受到某些矽谷高層投資方的資助

And with almost 30 million dollars of funding.
享有將近3億美元的資金

The startup is expanding fast and in May after all that time she spent doubting herself.
新興小型企業發展迅速,然後經歷長期的自我懷疑後
 
Katie got promoted to lead a team of her own farmers.
Katie在5月的時候被晉升還可以帶領自己的農夫團隊

The produce she grows supplies a few nearby grocery stores.
她將種植的農作物供應給附近幾家雜貨店

As well as this restaurant in Manhattan.
還有這家位於曼哈頓的餐廳

It's less than 10 miles away from the Bowery farm.
與Bowery農場距離不到10英里

What do you think?
妳覺得怎麼樣?

It’s delicious.
很美味

You made that. 
這是妳種的

It's like crazy to see stuff I grew on a plate.
看到自己種的蔬菜出現在盤子上感覺好瘋狂

But for Katie it's not just about making premium vegetables for people who can afford them.
但Katie不只是想要生產民眾可以負擔的優質蔬菜

I want people to have the purest produce imaginable and I want that to be readily available to anybody.
我希望大家可以隨時買得到而且能享用到最純淨的產物

The world's population is set to reach nine point eight billion people by 2050.
世界人口預計會在2050年達到980億

Two thirds will live in cities and we're gonna need all kinds of new technology to sustainably feed everyone. 
三分之二的人將會居住在城市所以我們需要開發可持續供養大眾的新科技

The key to making that food affordable is to continue to make more with fewer farmers.
要獲取足夠食物的關鍵在於繼續運用少數農夫來產出更多農作物

But no matter how high-tech all this gets. 
但不管科技進步到什麼地步

Katie thinks there will still be a place for her. 
Katie都認為自己會有一席之地

I just think there's something about the human mind that you can't really replicate.
我就只是覺得人類的心智無法完全地被複製

So I think we could still work closely with technology but I still think it's nice to you know
to have a human there.
所以我們可以持續地與高科技合作而且有人陪的感覺蠻好的

It's also be pretty lonely for the robots if they don't have anybody to talk to.
如果都沒有人可以跟機器人互動的話,它們也會蠻寂寞的

 

Copyright Announcement: The above videos are  from the official Youtube channel of the organization. This High-Tech Farmer Grows Kale in a Factory https://www.youtube.com/user/Bloomberg . The videos we selected are all publicly available on the official channel, and we do not own the copyright of these videos. Our work on Chinese translation for this film is free for the 1.2 billion audiences in Mandarin Chinese around the world to watch and learn SDGs and SROI advertising campaigns.

Choose Your Region