ESG Academy
2019-07-24

Florida's red tide has produced 2,000 tons of dead marine life and cost businesses more than $8 million


Florida's red tide has produced 2,000 tons of dead marine life and cost businesses more than $8 million

Florida's red tide has produced 2,000 tons of dead marine life and cost businesses more than $8 million


Normally, a voyage like this is fiiled with relax anticipation.
航海通常讓人期望能達到放鬆的效果。

But these days, a trip of Florida’s Gulf coast brings only boatful of dread.
但最近,去一趟佛羅里達港灣海岸只會產生許多恐懼。

Toxic algae is blooming like mad here.
有毒藻類異常的綻放。

And you can see and smell, result everywhere on shore and off.
你在岸邊的所見所聞,就可以知道發生什麼事了。

A dolphin sighting that would normally inspire wonder-- oh, there’s two right there-- now only makes you worry.
看到海豚通常使人發想靈感-那邊有兩隻-現在讓人擔心不已。

Whoa. Here it is. He’s right here. Look at this.
哇,在這裡。快看,它在這裡。

Wow. You can really feel it in your nostrils and your sinuses in the back of your throat.
哇,鼻孔感受強烈還有鼻竇在喉管後頭的感覺。

It’s like a mild pepper spray when this algae gets up in the air.
當這些藻類綻放時就像是輕度的胡椒噴霧。

And so if we can feel that discomfort, you’ve got to wonder what it’s like to be a dolphin in a red tide like this.
如果連我們都能感受到不舒適感,不經讓人思考紅潮對於海豚有什麼影響。

Oh, there he is.
喔,它在這裡。

Their blowhole is just inches beneath the surface.
它們的氣孔位於表面不遠。

90 miles up the coast, they just found two dolphins that could not survive this epic red ride.
他們在沿海地區90英里上方發現兩隻無法在紅潮中倖存的海豚。

A visit to the marine biologist at Florida Gulf Coast University is like a visit to the morgue.
前往佛羅里達海灣海岸大學拜訪海洋生物家就像是參觀停屍間。
And these are just two of more than 400 sea turtles found in this area alone.
在這個地區發現超過400隻海龜,它們只是其中之二。

This one is able to breed and this one here is still a juvenile.
這一隻可以繁殖而這一隻還未成年。

Makes your heart hurt, doesn’t it?
讓人心痛,可不是嗎?

It did. You go through stages hurt, then you angry.
是阿,你會經過不同階段,首先是傷心再來是憤怒。

This is the villain right here. Yeah.
恩,這個就是反派角色。

This is the red tide.
這個就是紅潮。

Yeah, and this one down here on the bottom.
恩,還有在下面的這個。

The algae that causes red tides occurs naturally in salt water.
藻類所產生的紅潮在海水自然發生。

But human activity on land can make the situation much, much worse.
但人為岸上活動讓情況更加地惡化。

Well, they love nitrogen and phosphorus.
恩,它們熱愛氮和磷。

Which are fertilizers. Right.
就像肥料,沒錯。

That’s buring sugar or is that…
那是焦糖還是...?

It’s processing.
提煉中。

They’re processing sugar.
他們在製糖。

Generations of sugar cane farming had altered the chemistry of lake okeechobee and the health of the everglades.
多世代的甘蔗種植改變了奧基喬比湖的化學特性和佛羅里達大沼澤地的運行狀況。

In wet season, Florida dumps a massive amount of water into the most delicate ecosystems.
佛羅里達在雨季對於脆弱的生態系統傾出大量雨水。

While in dry seasons that water is deverted to farms and cities.
而在旱季水量則轉於農地與城市。

Great for the economy, horrible for the environment.
對於經濟有益卻有害環境。

You have a natural phenomena called red tide, as Mike said.
Mike表示,紅潮為自然的現象。

But you have the nitrogen that coming in and giving it a booster shot.
但來來去去的氮成為輔助藥劑。

And now theses scientists from Florida Gulf Coast University are testing water up to 20 miles offshore, looking for the definitive proof that America sugar habit is also making red tides worse.
來自佛羅里達海灣海岸大學的科學家們在測試岸上20英里的海水,尋找確切證據,以證實美國製糖習慣讓紅潮更加嚴重。

You’re looking for the smoking gun.
你在尋找最有力的證據。

I’m looking for a smoking gun.
我在尋找最有力的證據。

I think we also have to realize that… you know.. collectively, we got to this point.
我們也得意識到,大家集體走到這一步。

It took 70 years, 80 years to get to where we are now ,and it’s going to take a while to work our way out of it
我們花了7、80年走到這裡,當然會需要一點時間恢復原狀。

Back on the beach that should be full of tourists, I find only cleanup crews, many of them unpaid volunteers.
海邊應該是充滿著觀光客,我卻只看到由志工所成立的清潔小組。

You live in Tennessee.
你住在田納西州。

Absolutely. Sevierville.
沒錯,賽維爾維爾。

Did you come out here just to do this?
你大老遠跑來就是為了當志工?
Absolutely
沒錯。

You’re kidding. Really?
你在開玩笑還是認真的?

I did. I did. Yeah.
恩,絕對是認真的。

Have you seen red tides this bad before?
你之前有看過這麼嚴重的紅潮嗎?

I have not.
從來沒有。

And who is the blame you think?
你覺得這是誰的錯?

I think we all are to blame, to be honest.
老實說,我覺得人人有責。

You know. I think we all play a role in this one way or the other.
我覺得每個人在這之中都不經意地扮演推手的角色。

I think it goes all the way up the chain, all the way down.
我覺得這道難題是息息相關的。

Yeah.
恩。

Honestly, I just think we just need to come together to figure it out and you know, let the scientists do what they can do and you know, let’s just try to get to the bottom of it.
我認為其實大家只需要同心協力地去了解,讓科學家們盡他們的本份,最後努力找出解答。

 

Copyright Announcement: The above videos are  from the official Youtube channel of the organization. Florida's red tide has produced 2,000 tons of dead marine life and cost businesses more than $8 million https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/22/us/red-tide-fishkill-costs-trnd/index.html. The videos we selected are all publicly available on the official channel, and we do not own the copyright of these videos. Our work on Chinese translation for this film is free for the 1.2 billion audiences in Mandarin Chinese around the world to watch and learn SDGs and SROI advertising campaigns

Choose Your Region