ESG Academy
2019-07-28

Hundreds of endangered turtles are freezing on New England coasts


Hundreds of endangered turtles are freezing on New England coasts

Hundreds of endangered turtles are freezing on New England coasts


We're here at the National Aquarium in Baltimore and we're going to see some turtles.
我們在巴爾的摩的國家水族館,我們來看一些海龜。

So every winter, a lot of sea turtles wash up along the coast of Cape Cod.
每年冬天,很多海龜都會被沖上科德角的海岸。

They get cold stunned, and some of them eventually make their way down here to the National Aquarium where they can be rehabilitated.
他們被冷得發生冷眩暈了,其中一些海龜最終努力游到了國家水族館,在這裡他們可以恢復體力。

Cold stunned turtles are turtles that basically have hypothermia.
冷眩暈的海龜是基本上就是體溫過低的海龜。

They're a cold blooded animal, so when the air gets cold their body temperature drops and they stop moving, they get really lethargic and sometimes they even get diseases like pneumonia.
他們是冷血動物,所以當空氣變冷導致體溫下降,他們即會停止運動,他們會變得昏昏欲睡,有時他們甚至會得到像肺炎這樣的疾病。

We're going to go inside and talk to Kate the rehabilitation manager.
我們要進去和康復經理凱特談談。

So right now we have 27 kemp's ridley sea turtles and one loggerhead in house that we're caring for.
所以,現在我們正在照顧27只kemp's ridley海龜,和一隻logyrhead海龜。

The geography of the Cape Cod Bay is quite difficult for them to kind of master.
科德角灣的地理位置對海龜們來說很難掌握。

They've traveled south for the winter and Cape Cod Bay is kind of like a funnel that funnels them into the bay.
他們要遷徙到南方過冬,而科德角灣有點像個漏斗,將它們導入海灣上。

Then actually they have to go north and around Cape Cod to get out so they get stuck in the bay.
然後實際上他們應該要往北走,繞過科德角才能離開,不這樣他們就會被困在海灣。

Their body functions start to kind of slow down as the water temperatures drop, and they get really lethargic, they're kind of floating around and then they'll wash ashore.
隨著水溫的下降,它們的身體功能開始變慢,變得非常昏昏欲睡,並且會漂浮在海灣周圍,最終它們會被沖上岸。

So, when they come in they're, you know, really low heart rates, really low respiration rates.
所以,當他們進來時,妳知道的,心搏率非常低,呼吸率非常低。

What's your favorite turtle?
你最喜歡的烏龜是哪知?

So Pancake is one of my favorite turtles.
鬆餅是我最喜歡的。

He's like the big, big one over there, and then little Flapjack is number 91 and he's like a little.
他是那邊那隻大大隻的;然後是小薄餅,也就是91號,是那邊小隻的。

Is there one turtle that's like just a total jerk?
有沒有烏龜個性很渾蛋的?

82 is in the time out box.
82號在禁閉箱裡。

That's Quiche.
他是Quiche。

He bites everybody and that's why he's in there.
他在那的原因是因為他把所有人都咬了。

The numbers vary from year to year but they're definitely increasing.
這些數字每年都有所不同,但肯定是在增加中的。


The three highest stranding seasons have occurred within the last four years up in New England.
在新英格蘭,過去四年中出現了三個最高收容數的混亂季節。

The largest season saw about 1,200 animals stranded and that was 2014/2015.
最高的一年,約有1,200只動物擱淺,大約是2014~2015年。

Do we have any idea why those numbers are going up?
所以我們知道為甚麼數字在提升嗎?

Hypotheses I mean that's all that they are at this point is that the water temperatures in the Gulf of Maine are rising kind of faster than a lot of other areas in the world.
我的假設是,他們現在發生所有的一切,都是緬因灣的水溫比世界上許多其他地區的水溫還要上升的快。

If they continue in that direction we're likely going to see more and more animals get caught in the bay and cold stunned.
如果狀況朝這個方向持續的話,我們可能會看到更多動物被困在海灣上,然後發生冷眩暈。

So it was great to go and see all of those turtles.
這一趟海龜之旅真的太棒了。

The big question is this didn't really used to happen, so why are we seeing these increasing numbers and people aren't really sure.
最大的問題是這不是經常發生的現象,所以為什麼我們看到這些數量不斷增加?人們並不確定。

But umm we do know that that area the ecosystem is changing really really fast.
但是,我們確實知道那個區域的生態系統正在快速變化。

With climate change the seas are getting warmer.
氣候變遷史的那一區的海水溫上升。

As the seas get warmer, we think these turtles might be either going farther up into the Gulf of Maine to look for food or might be staying there longer.
隨著海水變暖,我們認為這些海龜要么可以更加深入緬因灣尋找食物,要么可能會在那裡停留更長時間。

We knew the climate change was a part of it; we think it's not the only part, and that's kind of where things are right now.
我們知道氣候變遷是其中一部分的原因; 但我們認為這不是唯一的原因,而現在的了解就是這樣。
 

Copyright Announcement: The above videos are  from the official Youtube channel of the organization. Hundreds of endangered turtles are freezing on New England coastshttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfU4-ArXuSX0tpyApyklMAg . The videos we selected are all publicly available on the official channel, and we do not own the copyright of these videos. Our work on Chinese translation for this film is free for the 1.2 billion audiences in Mandarin Chinese around the world to watch and learn SDGs and SROI advertising campaigns.

Choose Your Region