ESG Academy
2019-07-23

Bill & Melinda Gates: Keeping score of global goals


Bill & Melinda Gates: Keeping score of global goals

Bill & Melinda Gates: Keeping score of global goals

Bill & Melinda Gates: Keeping score of global goals

You and Bill have this annual goal keeper report.
你和比爾擁有這個年度守門員報告。

From now until 2030, obviously, When the SDGs Sustainable development goals, will hopefully be met by the world community.
從現在到2030年,很顯然的永續發展目標希望得到國際社會的滿足。

And it’s to make sure that every dollar spent to alleviate poverty has maximum impact.
這是為了確保,每一塊美元對於減少貧困都能產生最大影響。

We realize that if we want to make progress against these goals, we have to track and report on the data. Because that progress is what makes things change. 
為了實現這些目標,我們必須追蹤和回報數據。這個進展會讓事情有所變化。

But the progress is’nt inevitable. And without data, we won’t know year by year how we’re doing.
這些數據有利於逐年了解我們正在做的事情。

In the report, you write, “There is more doubt than usual about the world’s commitment to development.”
報告中,你寫道,這世界對於發展的承諾比往常更令人懷疑。

I think people are a bit skeptical.
我認為人們懷疑。

They wonder where their money’s gone.
是因為想知道他們的錢消失了去哪裡 。

Should we be spending instead in the United States, or in my own country?
我們應該要在自己的國家,還是在美國花錢呢?

And what we want to point out to people that we need  keep doing is that you know, these huge drops,
而我們想讓那些人知道,這些極大的下滑,


you know, poverty cut in half, maternal mortality cut almost in half, childhood death cut in half.
貧困減少了一半,產婦死亡率幾乎減少了一半,幼童死亡減少了一半。


If it was not for these investments, we wouldn’t see that incredible progress.
若不是因為這些投資,我們看不到這些驚人的進步。

We wouldn’t see this tidal wave that came of HIV being brought down so substantially.
我們看不到愛滋病毒的流行大幅下降。

But we have to continue those investments.
但我們必須繼續投資。

If we don’t, those things will come back and will be on the rise.
如果我們不繼續投資,數據會往上攀升,以前的努力都是白費的。

Through this report, you track 18 key data points that are fundamental to this.
透過此報告,您可以追蹤最主要的18個關鍵數據點。

One of them number one in the report is child mortality, which is a proxy for so much else, and also a leading indicator.
報告當中排名第一的是兒童死亡率,包括了許多因素,這也是一個領先的指標 。

How are we doing?
目前我們做得如何 ?

By looking at how many children are dying , how are we doing?
透過觀察有多少兒童死亡,我們做得如何?

Right.
是的。

We’re doing incredible well.
我們做得非常的好。

Since 1990 , we have halved the number of children who die under the age of five.
從1990年以來, 五歲以下兒童的死亡率減少了一半。

That’s incredible progress so what it means is that a mother or father who lives in a low-income country, they can count on when their child is born on them surviving.
這是非常棒的進步,這表示在一個開發中國家的父母親,他們可以知道他們的孩子出生後能夠倖存下來。


And if a mother and father knows their children more surviving in adulthood to naturally bring down the number of children they have.
如果這些父母親知道他們的孩子能夠順利長大,那麼生育率就會自然的下降。

And then it means they can invest in those two or three kids’ education.
這代表他們可以投資這2、3個小孩的教育。

And those kid’s can go on the participate economic and have a productive job.
然後這些孩子可以參與經濟活動,擁有一個正職的工作。

Maternal mortality , moms-- moms staying alive.
孕婦死亡率降低,媽媽們會活著。

Yeah.
是的。

Another huge data point.
另一個大量的資料顯示。

They have shown a lot of progress, right?
他們已經取得很大的進展。

The report details the number of mother who’ve died has been cut half in the past generation.
報告中詳細說明,上一代母親死亡的人數減少一半。

Is there a lesson form that success to use elsewhere? 
是否有成功的案例?

Yes, Absolutely.
當然。

And one of the countries is Ethiopia.
其中一個國家是衣索比亞。

Second-most populous country in Africa, incredibly important.
非洲人口第2多的國家。


They realized that when women give birth in the clinic instead of at home, the women is much more likely to survive and the child is more likely to survive.
他們意識到,當孕婦在診所分娩而不是在家中分娩時,媽媽更容易活下來,孩子也是。

So they made fifteen thousand little heath clinics. 
所以他們蓋了15,000個健康診所。

They’re tiny. They’re not very big.
診所並不大。

They train the health care workers.
他們培訓醫護人員。

There’s an army of 45,000 women now that-- that staff these clinics.
這些診所已經有45,000的女性工作人員。

And they did all the right cultural things.
他們做了正確的事情。

Women did not want to go to the clinics because they said, well, I need the traditional birth attendant, or the religious leader.
孕婦並不想去診所,因為她們說需要傳統的接生員或宗教領袖。

Right.
是的。

So they have those people going with them.
所以那裡也有這些人員在崗位上。

And as villagers started seeing more pregnant women surviving, guess what?
隨著村民們看到去診所生產的孕婦都活了下來,你猜發生什麼事?

They started going to the health clinics more.
她們開始願意去診所接生。

And so Ethiopia’s dropped its childhood mortality significantly just in the last eight years.
因此,衣索比亞在過去的八年當中,兒童死亡率顯著降低了。

You also note this report, you say we know that some of these goals are not attainable by 2030.
你提到這份報告的其中一些目標,是不可能在2030年全部實現。

Are we at an inflection points, at a tipping point right now where it could go either way?
我們現在處於一個轉捩點、臨界點,它將走向何方? 


Absolutely.
當然。

If we don’t keep making these investments, if the US doesn’t keep up its funding for foreign aid, or other countries don’t, we will fall back.
如果我們終止這些投資,如果我們終止外援資金,如果其他國家和我們一樣這麼做,那麼我們所做一切都是白費的。

But how do you convince the powers that be in Washington, how important this is to do it?
但你要怎麼說服華盛頓的當權者,這麼做的重要性?

You’ve been spending time at the White House a lot recently, and with members of Congress.
你最近和國會議員在白宮裡花費大半時間。

Are they hearing you?
他們有聽到你的心聲嗎?

I think there are.
我認為有的。

And I think it’s up to Congress to keep up this funding around foreign aid.
而且我認為應該由國會繼續提供有關外援的資金。

We saw some proposed cuts that were pretty extreme coming out of the Trump administration.
我們看到川普提出了一些非常極端的削減計畫。

But these have been bipartisan issues that have had a lot of support over time.
但這2黨之間的問題,隨著時間,得到很多支持。

So it’s our job and our partners jobs to keep up and make Congress know this progress has happened.
所以我們以及夥伴的責任,就是讓國會知道已經有這個進展。

Poverty elimination has always been a goal of your foundation.
消除貧困一直以來是您基金會的目標。

There’s a really fascinating anecdote about what’s happening in India.
印度正在發生有一件非常有趣的軼事。

Not an anecdote, a reality check about what’s happening in India right now is the country has gotten richer.
不是一件軼事,而是真實的情況,現在印度變得越來越富裕。

Fewer women are working there.
在印度工作的女性較少。

And that’s concerning, too.
這是令人擔憂的。

It is concerning.
的確是。

So one of the things we learned, that as India implemented a financial system where you can go in literally, even if you’re illiterate, with your thumbprint, you have an ID number.
所以我們得知的其中一件事,就是印度實施了一個金融系統 ,即使你是文盲,你的指紋,就是一個身份證號碼。

And so if a woman goes into the workforce, her wages go into her own account, not the husband or the head of households account.
假如一位女性進入職場上班,她的薪水會進入自己的帳戶,而不是她的丈夫或是一家之主的帳戶。

Ans as she started to get more wages in her account, she started working more.
隨著她的帳戶的薪資累積 ,她開始願意做更多的工作。

She started switching into other industries, and she started spending the money in her family.
她會開始往不同的領域發展,並且把這些錢花在自己的家庭中。

We have a big-name supporter in President Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama.
我們有兩位名人的支持:歐巴馬總統以及前第一夫人蜜雪兒·歐巴馬。

President Obama in New York this week with you promoting this.
總統歐巴馬本周在紐約跟你一起提倡這件事。

Should we expect more joint efforts between the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the Obamas?
我們應該期望總統歐巴馬和比爾與美琳達·蓋茲基金會一起做更多的努力嗎?

Well, I think we’ll-- we’ll wait and see.
我認為我們要再看一看。

I mean, they have to really define what it is they’re going to work on. But I think one of the things President Obama has spoken already very eloquently about is he wants to bring up young leaders.
我的意思是,他們必須為正在做的事情下定義 。總統歐巴馬已經講的非常清楚,他希望培養年輕的領導者。

Yeah.
是的。

Leaders of the future who are part of making change for the world. So you can expect that we’re going to work with him on that.
未來的領導者,將改變部分的世界。所以你可以期待我們一起努力。

We believe in young leaders.
我們相信年輕的領導者。

We want to highlight young leaders.
我們想凸顯年輕的領導者。

We want to bring them forward.
我們想帶他們前進。

So of course if he does that, we’re going to work with him, and we will see what else they are going to work on over time.
假如他真的這樣做,我們會跟著他一起努力。
 

Copyright Announcement: The above videos are  from the official Youtube channel of the organization.Bill & Melinda Gates: Keeping score of global goals  https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/11/opinions/america-ranks-low-sustainable-development-sachs/index.html. The videos we selected are all publicly available on the official channel, and we do not own the copyright of these videos. Our work on Chinese translation for this film is free for the 1.2 billion audiences in Mandarin Chinese around the world to watch and learn SDGs and SROI advertising campaigns

Choose Your Region