ESG Academy
2019-07-24

Undercover in a Bangladesh Clothing Factory


Undercover in a Bangladesh Clothing Factory

Undercover in a Bangladesh Clothing Factory


If you own cloth that was made in Bangladesh this is where they come from.
如果你擁有孟加拉製的服飾,這裡就是它的原產地。

it’s one of the poorest countries in the world and your clothes could have been made in a factory like Monde Apparels.
世界上最窮困的國家之一,而你的衣服很有可能是來自於像Monde Apparels這樣的工廠裡。

hosting as buyers we film secretly inside the factory which employees 14 hundred workers.
我們以買家的身分偷偷攝影著工廠裡的1400位員工。

 it’s just under 10 dollars.
這件不到10元美金。

we saw them making shirts for Wrangler and Asics’ sportswear they said was for the American market。
我們看到她們為迎合美國市場所製的Wrangler短袖以及亞瑟士運動服飾。

the managers told us the factory hasn’t been approved by Walmart for production, but they still have a order for a million Walmart box of shirts subcontracted to them by another factory
經理告訴我們沃爾瑪公司尚未批准工廠大量生產,但他們仍有一張沃爾瑪公司將近百萬的服飾訂單轉包於另一家工廠。

in Bangladesh giant garment industry factory fires are common and deadly.
孟加拉服飾業龐大的工廠火災很常見也很致命。

the boss at Monde Apparels, Masadot Hakcheldre showed us a evacuation map marking the location of 30 fire extinguishers but nearly all of them are missing.
Monde Apparels的老闆,Masadot Hakcheldre指出在疏散地圖上30個滅火器的位置,但幾乎所有的滅火器都不見了。

there are several hundred workers on this floor of this factory.
工廠這一層樓將近有100位員工。

the manager tells us that it is more than a hundred thousand  square feet but so far we only spotted two fir extinguishers.
經理告訴我們這一區大於100,000平方公尺,但目前我們只看到兩個滅火器。

and if there were a fire, ther workers would find this emergency exit door blocked by boxes 
如果有火災發生時,工人們會發現緊急逃生出口被這些箱子擋住了。

Cheldre was adamant that his company doesn’t allow child labor.
老闆Cheldre非常堅決他的公司是不允許童工的。

they’re all 18, are they?
他們都滿18歲了,是嗎?

they’re all over 18.
他們都超過18歲了。

some of them though look much younger.
儘管她們有些人看起來格外地年輕。

we couldn’t speak to the workers freely inside the factory, so we went looking for them after work in this overcrowded slump
我們無法自由地在工廠裡與員工交談,所以下班後我們試圖在擁擠的貧困區裡尋找那些工人。

this women and her daughter both work at Monde Apparels.
這位婦人以及她的女兒都在Monde Apparels上班。

they each earn around 50 dollars a month.
他們一個月分別賺進大約50美元。

they ask us to hide their faces, scared they lose their job for speaking out.
他們要求上馬賽克,害怕說出實情會使她們失去工作。

the daughter told us she was just 12 years old and one of many children working at the factor.
女兒跟我們說她其實只有12歲,而且只是童工裡的其中之一。

she gave the factory a fake birth certificate showing her age is 18 dodging the rule from child labor because her family needed the money.
她給予工廠一份假的出生證明,顯示她已經滿18歲了好躲避童工的規定,因為家裡需要她這份薪水。

do you think that uh the factory bosses suspect that your daughter is still a child?
你覺得工廠老闆有懷疑你的女兒還只是個小孩嗎?

she said they must know that her daughter is underage the woman told us that.
那位婦人告訴我們,他們肯定知道她的女兒還未成年。

Monde Apparels doesn’t give workers a payslipt, last month i worked 20 days but they only payed me for 11, she said.
Monde Apparels不會提供員工薪資條,上個月我工作20天卻只領了11天的薪水。

if i questioned them, they yell at me.
如果我提出疑問,他們就會對我咆嘯。

but she feels lucky to have a job and told us there has been a big change in the factory in the last six month.
但她覺得有份工作就很幸運了,並告訴我們6個月前工廠裡發生一個巨大的改變。

nowadays she said when we make a mistake, at least the supervisors don’t beat us like they used to.
如果現在我們不小心犯錯,至少主管們不會像以前那像毆打我們。

we’ll come back to Harley in just a moment.
Harley稍等就回來。

but first we want to tell you about the reactions of the brands you saw on the story.
但首先我們想與你們分享有關前面報導所提到的品牌的回應。

earlier this week we brought Harleys findings to Asics, Wrangler and Walmart.
我們不久前藉由Harley的調查結果來更深入了解亞瑟士、Wrangler以及沃爾瑪公司。

Asic’s said that it was told by suppliers that they don’t do business with Monde Apparels, so Asics says it’s investagating whether the clothes you saw, are counter fit 
亞瑟士敘述它們的供應商表示不跟Monde Apparels做生意,所以正在調查你們所看到的服飾品,是否為假貨。

Wrangler told us that Monde was approved for use last march by independent labor group.
Wrangler告訴我們獨立的勞工族群在上個三月批准了與Monde的合作。

but after we called the company Wrangler has set his own inspector and has now fired the supplier.
但我們後來打去Wrangler公司發現他們已經指派自己的檢查員並開除了供應商。

Walmart told us they will investigate.
沃爾瑪公司也表示他們會深入調查。

and if the unauthorized production or child labor are found, Monde will be barred permentally.
如果未經許可的大量批發或是童工被發現,Monde將會永遠被禁止。

Harley is back from Bangladesh, she is in our London news room now.
Harley從孟加拉歸國,現在在我們的英國新聞編輯室裡。

Harley for years you ask munufacture has been trying to aprove condition in Bangladesh, they tell customers that they don’t do business with companies that don’t follow the rules, how does this still happen?
Harley,妳近幾年來詢問調查孟加拉製造業是否有試圖提升工作環境,他們告訴消費者他們不會跟不遵守規矩的公司做生意,為何這個情狀卻持續發生呢?

well sometimes American companies give their orders to a supplier not a factory, or they will give a order to one factory and it gets passed along to another factory.
有時候美國公司是直接跟供應商下單而不是與工廠接洽,或是他們跟工廠下單結果卻被分單到另外一個工廠。

in that case they don’t know where their product had been made and even if they do know which factory they are using and they inspect it  they can still be problems.
這樣的情形下他們不知道產品是從何而製的,問題依舊存在即使他們知道合作的工廠並進而檢察。

because the factory are cleaned up ahead of the inspection and workers are coached on what to say 
因為工廠總是在檢驗前整理完畢,而且員工們的言行都被控管著。

well this has been eye opening.
這一切是如此地讓人大開眼界。

and we’ll have another installment of your investigation tomorrow night on the evening news.
我們明天的晚間新聞將會報導調查結果的另外一部份。

Harley thank you.
謝謝妳,Harley。

 

Copyright Announcement: The above videos are  from the official Youtube channel of the organization. Undercover in a Bangladesh Clothing Factory  https://www.youtube.com/user/CBSNewsOnline . The videos we selected are all publicly available on the official channel, and we do not own the copyright of these videos. Our work on Chinese translation for this film is free for the 1.2 billion audiences in Mandarin Chinese around the world to watch and learn SDGs and SROI advertising campaigns.


 

Choose Your Region